hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: It works!! Add melatonin and L- Carnitine to your minox for much better results ...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/08/2017 10:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/08/2017 10:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mr
Prolific Poster

Hey gang!

After 5 months of adding 10 mg of Melatonin and 250 mg of L-Carnitine Tartrate

(both made by "NOW" from Amazon.com) to my Lipogaine, I can confirm that it definitely

helps. I've been using minox ever since it came out. I'm 57 years old. Adding these

ingredients has made my hair slightly thicker, healthier and the weak looking hairs in

my crown now look more like regular hair. I have to give credit to this forum for the

exchange of info otherwise I would have never thought of combining these with

minox. Some info that I came across also lends credence to the above - "Bernstein

Medical Center for Hair Restoration" cites 4 different study designs that observed

daily application of melatonin solution reduced hairloss and in some cases caused

new hair growth. In one of the studies, researchers used a Tricho Scan to measure

hairloss. The average increase in density was 29% after 3 months and 41% at 6

months. Regarding Carnitine - German researchers applied a 2% solution of

L-Carnitine Tartrate and after 6 months the density had increased by 15%. Both of

those items are pretty cheap. Well worth adding them to your regimen. Something

else that occurred - I've been growing a goatee and I've NEVER been able to grow

hairs below my lip very well. Now virtually that whole area is growing in with thick

healthy hair. Cheers!

-------------------------
Lipogaine - it's cheap and it works!!
Grapeseed extract,
Tumeric extract with Meriva
Vitamin D3
Fish oil
Brocco Max (Sulforaphane)
MSM (OptiMSM))
CoQ-10 (Ubiquinol)
Vitamin C complex

Edited: 03/11/2017 at 11:42 PM by mr
 03/09/2017 01:34 AM

Author Icon
SideShowBob
Accomplished Poster

Interesting post.

You say other posters here have discussed this because I must have missed it
completely.

!0 mgs of melatonin isn't much. Are you squeezing it out of capsules into
your minox or crushing up solid pills?

How many times a day are you applying this mixture?

I've been adding pumpkin seed oil and saw palmetto to my minox along
with 33 10mg crushed minoxidil pills and I have had some slight regrowth.

Now sure it's worth all the trouble, though.

Are you applying your mixture to your goatee as well as your scalp?
 03/09/2017 08:06 PM

Author Icon
Jackers09
Regular Poster

There was a formula called minsaw M which had melatonin in it years ago and it did indeed work. Take it at night of course because it will make you sleepy.

There could be more advances in treatments if the government would get out of the way!!
 03/09/2017 10:48 PM

Author Icon
mr
Prolific Poster

SSBob, I buy the capsules and then pull them apart and add them to the minox. I only

apply it once, at night. No, I don't apply it to my goatee. I'll try adding more Melatonin

on my next batch. Based on previous experience with adding stuff to minox, I know

there comes a point where too much stuff leaves a white residue ... which can be

embarrassing. Ha!

Grapeseed extract,
Vitamin D3
Fish oil
MSM (OptiMSM))
CoQ-10 (Ubiquinol)
Vitamin C complex

Edited: 03/09/2017 at 11:00 PM by mr
 03/10/2017 12:24 AM

Author Icon
SideShowBob
Accomplished Poster

I looked online and Melatonin is available as a liquid, which would make
it much easier to mix up. It comes in a dropper bottle

The 5 mg capsules I use for sleep aren't very big and there isn't
much inside them, although they're great as a sleep aide.

Adding some pumpkin seed oil to the mix eliminates that white powder
and flakey buildup on the scalp.
 03/11/2017 11:40 PM

Author Icon
mr
Prolific Poster

I doubled the melatonin in my new batch to 20 mg and it's leaving a slight whitish residue, although it may be only noticeable to me ...

Seems like I looked up liquid melatonin before and couldn't find any without added flavors, additives etc. I'll look some more.

Grapeseed extract,
Vitamin D3
Fish oil
MSM (OptiMSM))
CoQ-10 (Ubiquinol)
Vitamin C complex
 03/12/2017 05:05 AM

Author Icon
SideShowBob
Accomplished Poster

Just don't get any of that white powder under your nose.
 03/12/2017 06:16 PM

Author Icon
taco
Prolific Poster

This sounds interesting and would love to give it a try
Are you adding 20mg to a bottle of minox?
If so how many oz bottle and what strenght /percent
I have maintain my nw for years but would love to get some regrowth

Thanks for posting mr
 03/13/2017 05:47 PM

Author Icon
mr
Prolific Poster

taco, I add 20 mg to a 2 oz bottle of Lipogaine which contains 5% minox. I buy the "sensitive" kind because it's easier on my scalp. Amazon used to sell Lipogaine but stopped so now I buy it direct from Lipogaine.com for about $30. The regular kind is about $25.

Grapeseed extract,
Vitamin D3
Fish oil
MSM (OptiMSM))
CoQ-10 (Ubiquinol)
Vitamin C complex
 03/14/2017 04:45 PM

Author Icon
taco
Prolific Poster

Gonna mix some up

Thanks!
 03/19/2017 11:21 AM

Author Icon
x
Prolific Poster

The use of melatonin for hair loss has been known for quite some time. When it first started appearing on the forums it was like any fad, people tried it for a while and then it faded. Glad to see it's helping you somewhat. Taking it at night how much do you think is getting absorbed into the body and does it make you sleepy or sleep better?
 03/21/2017 11:48 PM

Author Icon
mr
Prolific Poster

I would imagine that some of it is being absorbed into the body based on results from my head and facial hair but I can't say that it really helps me sleep more soundly. Only because I've always been a sound sleeper. For those who have never tried using a sleep mask. Try it!! MUCH better quality of sleep ...

Grapeseed extract,
Vitamin D3
Fish oil
MSM (OptiMSM))
CoQ-10 (Ubiquinol)
Vitamin C complex
 04/07/2017 07:30 PM

Author Icon
GZ11
Accomplished Poster

Mr, thanks for the recommendation. May I ask if you are adding 10mg of melatonin to the entire bottle of Lipogaine, mixing it up, and using that amount over a month long period? Or are you adding these ingredients to each application?
 04/12/2017 03:15 PM

Author Icon
mr
Prolific Poster

Gz11, I've been adding melatonin to the entire bottle. Recently I dropped the carnitine and added 40mg of melatonin. I figured less whitish residue and perhaps even better results. We'll see ...

Grapeseed extract,
Vitamin D3
Fish oil
MSM (OptiMSM))
CoQ-10 (Ubiquinol)
Vitamin C complex
 04/12/2017 04:29 PM

Author Icon
x
Prolific Poster

Since melatonin is pretty cheap I decided to give this a try. What I've done is split a 60ml bottle of Kirkland minox in two, in one bottle added a 10mg capsule and apply this at night. In the morning the minox only from the other bottle is applied.

It's been two weeks so I'll give it three to six months and let everyone know if there's any positive response. I'm tempted to add more melatonin to make it stronger but it only dissolves in the alcohol so at some point you end up wasting it since only so much can dissolve. There's also the possibility of internal side effects with a stronger solution, which I want to avoid.

Edited: 04/12/2017 at 04:46 PM by x
 04/14/2017 10:29 AM

Author Icon
GZ11
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: mr

Gz11, I've been adding melatonin to the entire bottle. Recently I dropped the carnitine and added 40mg of melatonin. I figured less whitish residue and perhaps even better results. We'll see ...

Thanks Mr! Good luck with your results.
 04/15/2017 02:47 PM

Author Icon
DKC
Accomplished Poster

I would be interested in trying this out, but I need some advice on how to get started.

I dropped RU and Stemoxydine because having to apply so many alcohol based topical made my hair condition worse. At the moment I'm only using Minoxidil in foam form.

Is it possible to take oral melatonin (for the same effect)? Also, I live in the UK where melatonin is prescription only. I can get access to an oral low dose form which is a candy people take before going to sleep to help with insomnia. Will this help?

1mg fin ED
Minoxidil 5% 1x ED
 04/16/2017 01:36 AM

Author Icon
DKC
Accomplished Poster

I was just reading a journal article talking about melatonin use for androgentic alopecia. One of the study points was a increase in plasma serum melatonin in the melatonin patient group against placebo. They correlated that to an increase in hair growth. To me, that suggests that oral administration would be better then topical.

If the end goal is to increase melatonin in plasma serum, then applying topical defeats the idea (also it goes systemic anyway) - maybe, sublingual or other administration techniques that bypass first pass metabolism would be even better at raising melatonin levels.

1mg fin ED
Minoxidil 5% 1x ED
 04/16/2017 02:27 PM

Author Icon
GZ11
Accomplished Poster

@DKC, I briefly messed around with different doses of oral melatonin a few years ago and have to say the side effects weren't that great. Once I took it, I felt pretty much exhausted and useless until I lay down to sleep. It also gave me slight headaches. It was nothing extreme of course, but I think the best way to boost melatonin levels is to simply increase your time in darkness (where the body produces it naturally). Using sleep masks is one way (if you have lights in your room at night while you sleep). You can also download programs like F.Lux which adjust your monitor's color tones based on the time of day it is. It decreases most blue light emission from your monitor during evening hours. Blue light exposure has been shown to decrease melatonin more than most other types of light.

Another potential issue with oral melatonin pills, and I don't know if this is true or not, but I read on a few health sites (not very reliable ones to be fair), that once you start taking them your body doesn't produce as much of its own melatonin as it once did prior to taking the melatonin pills.
 04/16/2017 03:09 PM

Author Icon
DKC
Accomplished Poster

@GZ11 I'm not sure if that would be correct, the bit about increasing time in darkness. For example, I work in an office, In the winter, I get almost zero exposure to sunlight. Of course, in winter there is already less sunlight but the circidian rhythm adjusts to that, prolonged time in a office or behind a computer can probably disturb the circidian rhythm, where melatonin plays a major part in sleep. In turn, this could probably mean less melatonin production due to the cycle getting messed up essentially!

Last year, I noticed my hair would grow SLIGHTLY better in the summer where I had 1-2 hours of outside daylight (in between being inside and at work etc), if I was to take melatonin at night which is the time that I am naturally supposed to have more, then it may help with getting restful sleep as well as regulating anagen phase better in hair growth. To be honest, I don't know that much about this, I did a bit of reading in journals but there is hardly no data.

I'm going to try 3 mg oral dose for a few months and see how that goes. To be fair, I probably need to use it to help with my sleeping anyway, I use a computer for work then when I get home I am on the computer or watching TV until I go to sleep. I don't really get that much of a great long length deep sleep mostly turning and moving so this might actually be helpful. People have reported this has been excellent for sleep and have taken for 10+ years without problem so should be okay? 3 mg according to other commerical versions is super low (there are 10mg daily ones)

Also, thanks for the suggestion for reducing blue light using that program, I will give that a go. EDIT: Just downloaded that program and wow, my eyes already feel so much better from less strain. Big thanks even if it doesn't grow my hair back, lol.

1mg fin ED
Minoxidil 5% 1x ED

Edited: 04/16/2017 at 03:16 PM by DKC
Statistics
35841 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 603 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 604 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc