hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: It works!! Add melatonin and L- Carnitine to your minox for much better results ...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/08/2017 10:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/19/2017 11:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Wolverine
Regular Poster

I recently added liquid Melatonin 10mg and liquid Carnipure (l-carnitine) 250mg to my daily regiment. I purchased both from Vitamin Shoppe.
I continue to use liquid 5% minox twice daily, and apply the Melatonin once at night and the Carnipure twice daily after minox.

So far my shedding seems to have been reduced which is a good sign. One immediate benefit is that it cleared up the dermatitis dandruff and itching from the alchohol in the minox which has always been annoying. Its almost completely gone now which was unexpected and a nice benefit. That alone is worth it. I was using emu oil before for this problem but this works better.
 04/19/2017 02:07 PM

Author Icon
x
Prolific Poster

It's been about three weeks for me with melatonin/minox and I'm experiencing similar reactions as Wolverine. Combing my hair over the sink I'm seeing barely any fallout at all, its almost as if it were topical finasteride. There's also very little in the way of scalp flaking. I'm wondering if there's some anti-androgen effect to this?

No signs of re-growth as of yet but even if that were to happen it's most likely months away.
 04/20/2017 06:51 PM

Author Icon
SideShowBob
Accomplished Poster

About a week ago, I realized my hair has thickened up a bit. Especially in front. At first I thought it
was my imagination, but now I'm certain it has. I think it my be related to a couple of things I've
added about three months ago.

One was oral Melatonin. I take it for sleep and, because I don't sleep well I take 25mgs a night. I used
to take less but it wasn't enough. I boosted it up to my current level.

Secondly, I've been eating an entire bulb of garlic daily. It takes me about 10 minutes to peel all of it and
then I steam it for 2 1/2 minutes. I actually like it now. I've been doing this to treat a horrible rash I developed
from unknown causes and prescription meds did nothing. The rash is 95% gone now. Garlic is a natural
antibotic and contains a lot of sulphur, like onions. Doctors in the Roman Legions used it to treat infections
and wounds. Look it up on Google and see all the benefits of it, medically speaking.

I use other things including Minoxidil and Finasteride, but I hadn't considered
the possibility that Garlic and Melitonin might be helping because
I was taking both for other unrelated problems.

Anyway, I do think now that both of these may be helping and I intend to keep using both. And they are cheap and easy to use.

Edited: 04/20/2017 at 06:59 PM by SideShowBob
 04/21/2017 05:19 AM

Author Icon
DKC
Accomplished Poster

@sideshowbob

Some other users of oral melatonin reported quite rapid hair growth. I found from searching (on here and various blogs) a few accounts of people saying that oral melatonin has been great for them. However, they were taking much lower doses or around 3-5mg each night. Are you worried that taking 25mg per night may cause some densensization?

Also, are you a diffuse thinner or have classic mpb?

I started oral melatonin (3mg each night) just a few days ago so I personally have nothing to report, although after 60 days may be a good indication if melatonin is good for me. Nonetheless, it has helped me get some good sleep over the last few days, I must attribute the f.lux program GZ11 recommended, as this stops blue light emitting from my computer at night time and this has massively improved my ability to feel tired during the night.

-------------------------
1mg fin ED
Minoxidil 5% 1x ED
 04/21/2017 11:46 AM

Author Icon
SideShowBob
Accomplished Poster

No, I don't worry about desenitization. In fact, I wish it were stronger.

I'm a NW 2. My hairline has receeded slightly but I still have most of
my hair.

Tell me more about the f. lux program. I'm not familiar with it but it
sounds like it could help me. Where can I find it?
 04/21/2017 12:36 PM

Author Icon
DKC
Accomplished Poster

I have a hypothesis that diffuse thinners suffer from hormonal imbalance and restoring or elevating melantonin levels may be particularly useful to diffuse thinners. Maybe. But there is hardly any data on this so I suppose bro science will have to do for now, I was reading articles on how melatonin is used to treat diffuse hair loss in dogs and other animals.

Just google the program, it is called f.lux It adjusts your computer screen according to your location on the globe so that you don't get blue light when the sun goes down (in real time in your location).

1mg fin ED
Minoxidil 5% 1x ED
 04/21/2017 11:34 PM

Author Icon
mr
Prolific Poster

I'll have to second what Wolverine said - Even though I take "Lipogaine for sensitive scalps" minox once a day, I would still have some scalp irritation. After adding the melatonin ... my scalp is completely normal with no irritation whatsoever. With Melatonin being dirt cheap, that alone is worth adding it ...
Not only is my scalp healthier but the vellus hairs are thicker and healthier looking too.

Lipogaine - it's cheap and it works!!
Grapeseed extract,
Tumeric extract with Meriva
Vitamin D3
Fish oil
Brocco Max (Sulforaphane)
MSM (OptiMSM))
CoQ-10 (Ubiquinol)
Vitamin C complex
 04/22/2017 12:31 AM

Author Icon
Wolverine
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: mr

I'll have to second what Wolverine said - Even though I take "Lipogaine for sensitive scalps" minox once a day, I would still have some scalp irritation. After adding the melatonin ... my scalp is completely normal with no irritation whatsoever. With Melatonin being dirt cheap, that alone is worth adding it ...

Not only is my scalp healthier but the vellus hairs are thicker and healthier looking too.

Yes I wish I would have tried it a long time ago. The irritation and flaking from using minox with alcohol/ppg is almost completely gone. I've been using Nizoral for years and this fixed it in less than a week. It's still early, and I'm cynical about natural treatments since I've tried so many things that don't work. But this really is a nice surprise.
 04/22/2017 05:58 AM

Author Icon
x
Prolific Poster

If acetyl-L-carnitine has any effect on hair growth it may be because according to this it is a precursor to melatonin and stimulates the body to release more melatonin. So taking L-carnitine probably isn't necessary if you're supplementing with melatonin. I seriously doubt this will do much to regrow lost hair for me at this point but it's still useful with what appears to be anti-androgen properties that could prevent further fallout. It's also considered an anti-aging and anti-oxidant hormone so those by itself make it worthwhile to add to the minoxidil.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7897585
 04/22/2017 06:09 AM

Author Icon
x
Prolific Poster

Originally posted by: DKC

Also, I live in the UK where melatonin is prescription only. I can get access to an oral low dose form which is a candy people take before going to sleep to help with insomnia. Will this help?

If you need a prescription for melatonin where you are what about for L-Carnitine? That does basically the same thing by stimulating the body to increase its own natural melatonin. Might be worth looking into.
 04/22/2017 10:53 AM

Author Icon
DKC
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: x

If you need a prescription for melatonin where you are what about for L-Carnitine? That does basically the same thing by stimulating the body to increase its own natural melatonin. Might be worth looking into.

I managed to get a hold of some gummy sweets that have 3mg melatonin per serving. So I've been using that for just under a week now, great for my sleep and my natural circadian rhythm is returning which is a huge thing for me.

Thanks for the suggestion, I know that in the UK L-Carnitine is used as a supplement in the gym. It is available as a oral supplement in tablet and liquid form. I will try it after 3 months if I don't see any improvement on the 3mg melatonin I'm currently using.

Although, I'm not sure that topical would be better. I did some research and there is no mention of L-carnitine being a agonist for the melatonin receptors, therefore it is unlikely to trigger the response that actual melatonin would - If L-carnitine is a precursor to melatonin then it would be much more viable to take this as a oral supplement, so that it can be metabolized properly.

1mg fin ED
Minoxidil 5% 1x ED
 04/24/2017 01:08 AM

Author Icon
SideShowBob
Accomplished Poster

Melatonin dreams article

Text
 04/24/2017 11:43 AM

Author Icon
DKC
Accomplished Poster

If you are experiencing vivid dreams on oral melatonin it suggests that the dose you're taking may be too much.

If you have trouble sleeping, as in staying asleep, you may want to consider a 'timed release' version, so you would still take it before sleeping and it will slowly release the melatonin over a few hours to keep a sustained level of melatonin for restful sleep.

1mg fin ED
Minoxidil 5% 1x ED
 04/24/2017 08:28 PM

Author Icon
SideShowBob
Accomplished Poster

Timed release would be good. I do have more vivid dreams but that's ok
because I don't normally recall my dreams. It's a new experience.

One other thing I have noticed is that certain brands work better than
others ( same dosage ) and some barely work or not at all. It can take
some time to find one that works well.
 04/25/2017 06:04 AM

Author Icon
DKC
Accomplished Poster

After I finish my batch I will try out timed release, I find that I'm getting really good sleep on 3mg and I wake up super refreshed and recovered, but I'm waking up at 5-6am when ideally, I want to be waking at 8am to get even better sleep.

This is probably placebo BUT, in less then a week I've noticed a slight improvement in my eyebrows, I have pretty thin eyebrows as it is, but i've noticed a bit of growth to existing hair and probably a bit of new hair growth. I'll be inspecting this frequently.

I've been documenting my hairline since I started melatonin 1 week ago, I'm taking HQ pictures of my temples so if in a few months there is a drastic difference, I'll be sure to post that. Note that in the topical melatonin study there was improvements recorded as early as 30 days.

1mg fin ED
Minoxidil 5% 1x ED
 04/30/2017 09:20 AM

Author Icon
x
Prolific Poster

One way that melatonin may help with hair loss is that it is currently known for its anti-fibrosis effects. Not only can it stop fibrosis in its tracks but actually reverse it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26680689

Melatonin is probably more potent that taurine but used together (melatonin topically and tauring internally) could have synergistic benefits.
 04/30/2017 11:32 AM

Author Icon
SideShowBob
Accomplished Poster

I would thing using Taurine and Melatonin topically would be more beneficial.
 04/30/2017 12:56 PM

Author Icon
x
Prolific Poster

Originally posted by: SideShowBob

I would thing using Taurine and Melatonin topically would be more beneficial.

There's conflicting studies regarding taurine but the consensus is that for fibrosis it's more effective internally. It wouldn't hurt to add some to the minox and try it, it's apparently dissolvable in alcohol and water but if you're already adding melatonin then you start getting too much in there.
 05/01/2017 12:44 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
slayer
Occasional Poster

Hi guys, I would like to give the melatonin a try. I have a few questions to make sure I am doing right ...

You guys are using 10mg in a minox bottle of 60ml ... In order to use 2ml a day ? Do you guys use a liquid version including additives and other useless stuff as well ?

Can we mix the melatonin with some emu oil for example, or does it necessarily need an alcohol based solution ?

Thanks for the help !
 05/01/2017 05:03 PM

Author Icon
x
Prolific Poster

Originally posted by: slayer

Hi guys, I would like to give the melatonin a try. I have a few questions to make sure I am doing right ...

You guys are using 10mg in a minox bottle of 60ml ... In order to use 2ml a day ? Do you guys use a liquid version including additives and other useless stuff as well ?

Can we mix the melatonin with some emu oil for example, or does it necessarily need an alcohol based solution ?

Thanks for the help !

The first month I went with one 10mg capsule of melatonin into 30ml of minox applied once at night. Now in the second month I've upped it to 20mg into 30ml. I'm not expecting miracles with this but even a little is better than nothing. Figure at least six months is needed to know one way or the other.

Not sure it will dissolve in emu oil, alcohol seems to be the most reliable.
Statistics
35841 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 657 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 658 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc