hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 7 Year Update - Looking for Advice from Old Timers
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/30/2018 12:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/30/2018 12:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lulrus
Prolific Poster

Hi everyone,

I haven't been active on this forum in quite a while. To make things a bit shorter, I started noticing my hair loss in early 2010, when I was about 21 years old. I suspect it all began when I was 19 or 20 though. It took me until April of 2011 to take action, and finally saw Dr. Rassman for a free consultation and a prescription for Fin, which I have taken religiously every day since. I began using Minoxidil in early 2013, starting with the liquid before immediately switching to the Kirkland Foam sometime in the fall of 2013. So I am coming up on almost 7 years of non-surgical action.

I have since moved to China, and have a Chinese buddy who was heading straight for NW6 territory when I first met him, I think he was 28 at the time. Thin all over and could see his scalp under a bright light, and it looked like whispy black cotton candy on his head. I saw him again about a year later and *looked like* he had a full head of hair. He told me he had a hair transplant. It looked natural and I couldn't even tell. Maybe a bit less dense when you look closely, but no shitty "pluggy" look that I often see.

I am turning 30 later this year, and I'm attaching photos of my timeline. There's a double-sided picture in these attachments, which was the original state of my hair in April 2011, taken by Dr. Rassman. The rest are all from today, age 29 pushing 30.

I would like to hear from any of the old timers on what I should do. My biggest worry when it comes to getting a transplant is getting my sh*t f*cked up. Most of the ones I've seen look like obvious transplants, at least to my trained eye. Between losing my hair slowly over time and with grace like a normal aging person and having an obvious hair transplant, I would take the first option, although if I could achieve a natural looking head of hair with a transplant that would be my ideal scenario.

As you can see by my photos, I've held up fairly well, but I have lost a little bit over the years, and my forelock has lost a bit of density. The mid-top and crown of my head appear to have no thinning, or very little if any. I do not apply minox to these areas.

Some notes on my family history: My dad died at age 50 with a thick NW 2.5 head of hair, but he had the hairline of a 12 year old girl when he was my age. His brother is about 60 now, and appears to have the same pattern I have, although more advanced, which is thin / whispy forelock, less thin top and crown (he has enough to cover his scalp at least).

Both my grandfathers were mostly bald when I knew them in their late 70's and 80's, but both sides say they didn't go bald until they were really old.

Links to all images are here:
https://ibb.co/iviTW6 <---- April 2011
https://ibb.co/frAaB6
https://ibb.co/f886Jm
https://ibb.co/iGPP4R
https://ibb.co/jScNr6
https://ibb.co/j4FmJm
https://ibb.co/m8TTW6
https://ibb.co/iDcYym
https://ibb.co/nqD6Jm
https://ibb.co/nj3j4R
https://ibb.co/nQwRJm

For a good frame of reference, I have a mole at the top of my forehead, near my hairline. It's a good landmark to show what all has changed in 7 years.

Edited: 01/30/2018 at 01:16 AM by Lulrus
 01/30/2018 07:10 AM

Author Icon
topcat
Accomplished Poster

The last Joe Rogan podcast was interesting. You might want to check it out. Medical technology is moving extremely fast you might consider waiting a few years.

Some stem cells discussion worth listening to. Not directly hair related but none the less things are moving quite quickly.

1st hour talks about stem cell injections into the penis........sounded like very impressive results. Might be of interest for those guys suffering from penis issues due to ifnasteride. But also just the effect of blood vessel growth was interesting in general.

Joe Rogan/Ben Greenfield 1/29/2018

Previous to this podcast Mel Gibson was on talking about how new therapies saved his dad's life. The doctor also on the podcast has reversed Multiple Sclerosis with stem cells. Things are changing very fast. The HT industry would rather talk about tattooing your head. Injecting ink and driving up you white blood cell count...........that's a sign a sign that you might want to wait and give it all some more thought.

Joe Rogan/Mel Gibson

-------------------------
Stay away from doctors who perform mega sessions, have posts deleted, attack posters, sue patients & forum owners, use power drills or robots. I recommend fue with hand punches in the .70-.85 range. I consulted with dozens of clinics over the years and there was a recurring theme regarding FUE among some employees of those other clinics. I was told Bisanga was the man my research told me the same and my experience validated my own research.

Edited: 02/06/2018 at 02:57 PM by topcat
 02/04/2018 04:18 AM

Author Icon
nyhair19
Accomplished Poster

Lulrus,

I'm not an old timer, but I am in a similar situation as you are. I am about the same age, been on fin since 2011 and rogaine foam since 2012. Over the past two years or so, I have seen my hairline thin out a bit more and I am getting a bit curious where to go from here. I would be curious to see what old timers do say (if any are still around on here). I always considered at some point moving from fin to dut if fin the effects of fin started to ware off. I have to admit, the drug has kept my hairline more or less in tact for the past seven years, so I really have to be thankful for the results. I have always assumed that if things got bad, I would also go for a HT.

From my perspective, and it is a very uneducated perspective and one that is not much informed about HTs, I would say wait a bit longer. Despite the thinning, your hairline is still pretty good. You're 30 not 15, so some recession is to be expected. There's no guarantee that you'll suddenly go from the thinning NW2-NW2.5 to a full out NW3 going on 4. I would also hold off for a while because you may be jumping the gun. IMO, your hairline is still pretty good minus the thinning.

I would also say that if you're going for a HT do it good and do it right. Don't half ass it for economic reasons, get the best quality you can. Just my two cents. I would really appreciate it if others chimed in too though.

Jan 08 - Present
Fin 1 mg/day
Minox foam
Nizoral
Tricomin
 02/04/2018 07:46 AM

Author Icon
Lulrus
Prolific Poster

Thanks for the replies,

I'm at this weird inbetween point where I don't have a ton of loss but it's enough to where it's making me think about taking action. My two main concerns being that if I get a hair transplant, 1. I don't want it to end up really shitty looking, and 2. What are the implications of it when I'm older? If My NW3 ends up becoming a NW6, I'm kinda screwed.

The medication carried me through my 20's pretty well with only minimal loss since I started treatment, what are the odds that I sort of plateau from here? I figure hormones are highest in the teens and 20's, and read that most people who go completely bald typically lose a huge amount in their 20's. I'm nearing the finish line on that and wondering if I would be a good candidate for this.
 02/06/2018 03:03 PM

Author Icon
topcat
Accomplished Poster

Wayne Rooney was one of the lucky ones as he had a newer technique and it looks very natural in my opinion. Yes it does highlight the limitations of the procedures as 4000+ grafts can't cover a loss of 20,000+. Of course when he was wearing concealer the marketers were happy to point out another great celebrity/sport star result but not so much any more. Which is a common technique they use.

I think if you use Wayne Rooney as an example and go with a much higher hairline you could end up looking normal down the line as you lose more hair. Of course there are no guarantees.

What you don't want to do is end up like one of these billionaires that didn't understand money is not the issue it's the issue of extreme donor limitations. For example David Gest. That is not a good look even with concealer so you have to be careful and think long term.

The hard part is finding an ethical doctor and with all the marketing fraud happening with online forums it's easy for guys to fall into a trap. It becomes very believable with multiple screen names gushing over marketers and/or doctors.

Rooney article

David Gest article

Stay away from doctors who perform mega sessions, have posts deleted, attack posters, sue patients & forum owners, use power drills or robots. I recommend fue with hand punches in the .70-.85 range. I consulted with dozens of clinics over the years and there was a recurring theme regarding FUE among some employees of those other clinics. I was told Bisanga was the man my research told me the same and my experience validated my own research.

Edited: 02/07/2018 at 03:23 PM by topcat
 02/07/2018 04:49 AM

Author Icon
Lulrus
Prolific Poster

I'd like to think that I'm in a better position than Wayne Rooney overall. How old is he in that picture? Probably about my age.

If my hair loss was as severe as his I wouldn't even consider having it done. If there's nothing left up top what's the point, the best result you can get is looking like you had a hair transplant, which defeats the purpose entirely. I've seen some fantastic results on people who don't have a ton of loss, such as myself, but I worry about what would happen in the future if they accidentally overloaded their front area and didn't leave enough to spread out if the rest of the hair starts to thin. Like I said before, I'd rather just age slowly and with grace rather than get an obvious hair transplant. For example David Gest, Donald Trump, Oliver Stone, Nick Cage... even people who don't know how to spot hair transplants can tell that something isn't right.

Looking at his pictures, even though he's only 3 years older than me, he looks like he could be my dad or something. Jesus. And I don't mean that just because of the hair either.

If any other people who are a bit older than me have any advice, let's hear it. I don't need to be sold on whether or not to do it, but I'd like to hear some pros and cons from other perspectives.
 02/14/2018 09:26 PM

Author Icon
takingaction
Accomplished Poster

I'm not keen on Rooney's transplant, and I agree he doesn't look good for his age. Which doesn't seem relevant.

I looked at several of the linked images. It's hard for me to tell how bad it is, meaning whether or not you have a huge forehead. I think the main issue is picking a hairline that's the right shape and right position. Otherwise, it won't look natural. Maybe the best plan of action is for to train your eye to know what looks best, ask others to make sure they agree, and then find a surgeon who has before-and-after pics that are to your liking and plans for the future, which might be Rassman and associates. What he drew in years ago looks right to me and might still be doable. I suppose 2000 grafts should be your cut-off point. My educated guess is that you are not going to lose a ton more hair over the decades if you continue on medication.

"Maybe it's because I'm older and wiser, but I just cannot understand why some people are so reckless with their health."
Statistics
36199 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 741 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 741 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc