hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Finally, the BIG 3
Topic Summary: UPDATE 30 MONTHS FIN, 13 MONTHS FUE (pics on post #1)
Created On: 04/18/2012 07:01 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/20/2012 04:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dodgePT
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: GrowGoddammit

Hey dodge, I'm a few years younger but our stories are similar in a lot of ways so I'll always keep an eye out for your updates.

I'd guess I've been using Nizoral off and on for a couple years as part of my half-ass stabs to do something about my very slow, but steady loss. Finally started minox mid-December 2011 and rounded out the big 3 by ingesting my first piece of Fincar in mid-January this year.

As far as side effects go, I'd say I've had only one that really stood out...an almost immediate spike in my aggression level. On my second day on fin, I just snapped on somebody like I never have in my life. Before, you'd almost have had to literally punch me in the mouth to evoke that sort of reaction from me. I just completely lost control of myself for a minute...very surreal and pretty scary to be honest. Nothing even remotely close to that has happened since then and now that I've experienced it and aware it's a possibility for me, I feel like I can prevent it from happening again.

My only side effect of minox (I assume it's the minox) was discovering a few eyelash-type hairs sprouting on the INSIDE corners of my eyes a little over a month ago! Pretty bizarre to see that happening, but I just carefully plucked them out and they haven't revisited since.

Didn't *and won't* be taking any pics, but I've been surprisingly pleased with my results already...and that's coming from one of the most skeptical people you'd ever come across. I've noticed an increased darkness and thickness overall and also "the itch" is all but completely gone. I will keep my natural tempered enthusiasm, but I'm genuinely looking forward to what the coming months may bring.

Happy growing.

Thanks GrowGoddammit, I hope you have much success too
As for the pics, have been avoiding taking pictures for years, thanks to mpb. Who knows, I have some before pictures, if I'm successful, maybe I'll post them, along with the after ones

-------------------------
Regimen:
[5mg finasteride] 04-18-2012
[keto 2% shampoo]
[FUE 3700 FU] 11-04-2013

for($hair=0; $hair<100000; $hair++) {
echo $hair;
}
 04/20/2012 06:52 PM

Author Icon
Real
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: daniel1978

You`re crazy buying generic fin..anything could be in it and you`re playing a dangerous game of chance with your body. You may be congratulating yourself on the cheap price but it`s probably cheap for a reason

i agree. what i even find most odd is that many on here, would claim to say fin is not working, while they buying medication from out of sea pharmacies.legit pharmaceuticals like cipla, don't sell to unlicensed pharmacies, especially online ones. I understand that many on here, believe that generics can't be counterfeited, but yes they can. 1 cent more is a profit.
 04/21/2012 04:03 AM

Author Icon
dodgePT
Accomplished Poster

I think a pharmaceutical company wouldn't risk their license for a one cent profit. Is finasteride like gold or something, that they need to counterfeit it?
I'm aware I bought something without prescription, but if I were to carry a prescription with me, and if by chance, my dermatologist had prescribed me Zentiva generic finasteride, then it would be fake also.
Also, in my country we can ask for the equivalent generic instead, because of the price difference.

Regimen:
[keto 2% shampoo]
[FUE 3700 FU] 11-04-2013

echo $hair;
}
 04/23/2012 12:20 PM

Author Icon
dodgePT
Accomplished Poster

I think I have an update, I just popped the 6th 1.25mg piece and have been feeling very tired lately. If I lay on the couch, I sleep, mainly after working out. I spent the all weekend sleeping! Is this normal?
I'm usually a very active person and never sleep more then 4/5 hours a day, so this is new...
On the other hand, the 'pain' I used to feel on the follicles in the mpb areas, when I messed with my hair, is gone!
I don't know if any of you ever felt it, but on top, where I am thinning, even when touching the hair gently I used to feel like a stinging feeling in the follicles, it felt like they were really suffering with the DHT.
That is gone for just a day or so, so it might be temporary. Or it may be from the minox, but I think its just from the DHT reduction in the scalp.
Anyone felt that in the first days?

Regimen:
[keto 2% shampoo]
[FUE 3700 FU] 11-04-2013

echo $hair;
}
 04/23/2012 12:28 PM

Author Icon
Svullom
Regular Poster

dodgePT: I had the exact same experience. I was just so tired all day long regardles of how long I had slept. I my opinion, it's not worth it.

Current regimen:

5% topical Spiro cream twice daily
2% Nizoral schampoo twice weekly

My finasteride experience: http://www.hairlosshelp.com/fo...=10&threadid=98060
 04/23/2012 12:54 PM

Author Icon
dodgePT
Accomplished Poster

Hi Svullom, I read your story and find it very enlightening. Are you thinking of an alternative to fin?
And thanks for the warning, but I still want to know if I'm part of the % that can't handle fin. Got to give it a try at least.
Although this tiredness scared me, I'm sure even those with no side effects felt it in the beginning, it might be just my body adapting. And today I started some vitamins and worked out even harder to compensate.
I guess I'm not 20 anymore and age is also catching up on me

Regimen:
[keto 2% shampoo]
[FUE 3700 FU] 11-04-2013

echo $hair;
}
 05/04/2012 04:07 AM

Author Icon
dodgePT
Accomplished Poster

Time for an update.
These last days got me worried. I had no idea my mpb had advanced so much, since I don't carry a rearview mirror to check on the crown, and I buzzed my hair with a #2 guard every month for the last 10 years.
This slow death passed unnoticed and now I have diffuse thinning all over the NW6 area... I wish I started earlier

79 days of minoxidil 5% twice daily and Nizoral 2% every 3 days.

Usage:
Minoxidil - Daily 07:00AM/10:00PM 1ml liquid per application (sometimes more).
Nizoral - Every 3 day before bed, on the other days I wash my hair with water only.

I've been having some dandruff lately (I don't recall having dandruff ever), I think it was an allergic reaction to over dosage of minoxidil. I must have applied more then the recommended dosage continuously, but its been better in the last 2 days and Nizoral helped. Still, no burning or itching like some report, at least, nothing too uncomfortable. My hair its also getting noticeably darker, I guess more pigmentation is a good sign.
In terms of regrowth, I can see the new hairs all over, they are pigmented already, although very small and fine. If they thicken, I believe the results will be amazing and cosmetically noticeable.
It's only natural that these 'revived' follicles are producing bad quality hairs, maybe they'll get stronger at each cycle. I have some in my NW2 area...
I've been applying too much minoxidil sometimes, and that's when I feel the side effects everybody talks about. Bad skin, swollen eyes, palpitations, etc. This happens because of over dosage, if I restrain myself from applying too much, side effects subside.
I like the texture of the hair after using nizoral. It also appears fuller and healthier and my scalp feels clean, I wish I could use it every day. I guess the 3 day gap of usage is perfect for me

16 days of generic finasteride 1.25mg daily.

Usage:
Daily 10:00PM, 1.25mg after dinner.

The initial tiredness as subsided and I'm back to my old me, it lasted throughout the first week but I slowly started to feel more energetic in the last few days.
I'm back to sleeping 4/5 hours a day, and don't feel tired all the day anymore.
My girlfriend says that my sperm is definitely more watery, but sex wise, no problems to report. I think it had the opposite effect everybody is complaining about, I feel more horny. But ejaculation feels kind of different, maybe because sperm is more watery, I don't know. It still feels good
No brain fog, which would be a no no for me, I depend a lot on my brain to work.
All I can talk about is pseudo side effects, too early for something good to happen from fin I believe.
That difference I felt in March 24, in the quality of the hair, still endures. I'm quite happy with the way my hair feels now, it's definitely the more healthy it felt in years
I think it was the result of DHT reduction in the scalp, but I had 70 days of minoxidil and that could also influence.

I'll be updating every month of fin, so that will be on the May 18th.
Sorry for my english, it's not my native language.
Cheers and good luck to everybody!

Regimen:
[keto 2% shampoo]
[FUE 3700 FU] 11-04-2013

echo $hair;
}
 05/14/2012 07:42 AM

Author Icon
dodgePT
Accomplished Poster

3 month update on minox/nizoral, 1 month fin.

I'll be completing 1 month on fin next May 18th, but today its 3 month since I started the battle against mpb with just minox and nizoral, so its only fair that the 14th should be update's day.

Minoxidil
This is absolutely giving me the best results yet. I have literally hundreds if not thousands of new hairs growing all over the mpb areas. They're unfortunately very fine still, but they're growing at almost the same rate as terminal hair, which leads me to believe they may grow thicker on the next cycle (I really hope so, the change would be dramatic). I notice a lot of them on NW1/NW2 areas, but none of them turned out terminal yet, they're still very fine and pass unnoticed.
Hair volume is improving on top, which became my biggest problem since my last shed. The hairline is still the same (bad), but I guess its to early (or impossible, at least in my case) to notice results there, despite the new minox hairs. As my hair is buzzed, it was very easy to see my crown, but it is slowly covering up and I'm pretty sure that problem will be solved at the 6 month mark!
I also have some rogue hairs, 1cm or more away from my current hairline. I'm shaving them, because they look out of place.
Two weeks ago I started to get some of the sides, palpitations and bags under the eyes. It turned out I was using too much, as soon as I reduced the dose, side effects subsided (dandruff still persists).
One thing that's been a constant almost since the beginning, is the facial hair and freaky hairs growing everywhere.
Other thing I noticed: hair quality is much better. The hair is getting thicker and thicker everyday, I'm actually thinking of start growing it longer, one year into the treatment (never thought I'd say this again) .
I'm also shedding much less, although I still see some very small and fine hairs falling (telogenic hairs, I think), certainly to come back stronger.

Ketoconazole/Piroctone Olamine (PO)
Nizoral is one heck of a shampoo, but a bit strong for my hair. That's why from now on, I'll also be using Body Shop Ginger Scalp Care, which has Piroctone Olamine on non-nizoral days.
Keto dries my hair and scalp a lot, and I'll be using it less for that matter. First impressions with PO have been good, my hair really likes this shampoo and I'll be using it between nizoral applications.
According to studies, Piroctone Olamine could easily replace Keto in the Big 3.

Finasteride
All is well down south .
Even better than before, because now I can certainly say that my libido increased. If this will keep on, I don't know, but I think its a bit too much sometimes, I hope I get back to my old libido, because I used to be more productive at home...
My semen is more watery, no doubt about it.
Haven't noticed weaker erections, brain fog, moobs, shrunken testicles, etc... It also hasn't affected my workouts.
Even the initial tiredness subsided

I should actually be happy about this, but a part of me regrets all the years I wasted, for fearing side effects... I should have never made research in forums when I started to research mpb years ago, I lost so much hair that I'll never recover because of some testimonies I read...

Anyway, this is where I'm standing. I'd like to thank everyone in this forum for all the help and knowledge shared, I'm happier then I've ever been since I started to lose my hair (17 years ago), because now I know I'm actually doing everything I can to stop it. If it continues working this well, I'll be doing FUE to fix the hairline, or at least recover a NW level by the 2 years mark.

Cheers and good luck to everybody.

edit: anyone noticed increased regrowth on the left, compared to the right side of the head or vice-versa?

Regimen:
[keto 2% shampoo]
[FUE 3700 FU] 11-04-2013

echo $hair;
}

Edited: 05/14/2012 at 09:13 AM by dodgePT
 05/14/2012 10:52 AM

Author Icon
morgan
Accomplished Poster

Great update Dodge. Glad to hear you are doing so well. Don't worry or look back about not having done all of this sooner- Just keep looking forward.

I have heard that growth can be uneven on one side more than another (just as thinning can be). I had better growth on my left than right my first 1-2 years on fin.

Keep up the fight!
 05/31/2012 06:00 PM

Author Icon
DHTd
Accomplished Poster

Hey dodgePT

Wow those are some great prices on the Fin, where did you buy it in PT? Great report, definitively gives hope, brain fog is actually the scariest thing in my opinion, imagine you're driving or something.

Em Lisboa? Também sou PT Ainda não vou comprar Fin já mas gostava de saber como era o processo.
 06/02/2012 03:06 AM

Author Icon
dodgePT
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: DHTd

Hey dodgePT

Wow those are some great prices on the Fin, where did you buy it in PT? Great report, definitively gives hope, brain fog is actually the scariest thing in my opinion, imagine you're driving or something.

Em Lisboa? Também sou PT [IMG][/IMG] Ainda não vou comprar Fin já mas gostava de saber como era o processo.

Hi, DHTd, no, I'm in Porto, but you should be able to get the same prices in a pharmacy near you, in Lisboa.
If you get a prescription, ask your doctor to prescribe 5mg instead of 1mg, that way you'll cut the pill in 4ths and cut on the expenses, but I guess you already know that
I'm auto-medicating , but I don't advise you to do the same, but if you decide to do it, first make sure you have mpb and not just some other kind of disorder.

Boa sorte, pelo que vejo ainda és novo ou ainda tens 'pouca' calvície a avaliar pelo teu avatar. Se de facto quiseres deter isso, só tens uma alternativa e tu sabes qual é

Regimen:
[keto 2% shampoo]
[FUE 3700 FU] 11-04-2013

echo $hair;
}

Edited: 06/02/2012 at 05:46 AM by dodgePT
 06/02/2012 12:08 PM

Author Icon
DHTd
Accomplished Poster

Thanks for the help dodge, yeah I plan on doing a blood exam first to see if there's any issues, then I'll jump to fin and hope for the best.

edit: Apparently flax seeds are bad for hair :/

Edited: 06/03/2012 at 11:37 AM by DHTd
 06/02/2012 12:28 PM

Author Icon
fjules
Regular Poster

You`re crazy buying generic fin..anything could be in it and you`re playing a dangerous game of chance with your body. You may be congratulating yourself on the cheap price but it`s probably cheap for a reason

He is crazy for not doing it sooner. What fin can do is in no comparison to what mail pattern baldness can do to you.

Please kill me in my sleep. I don't want to wake up tomorrow, mommy
 06/02/2012 12:29 PM

Author Icon
jimbo69
Accomplished Poster

if i can make a suggestion. there have been comments saying that you are crazy for buying fin overseas with no script but i wouldnt worry too much. look for dr reddys. its an indian generic manufacturer and they have a good reputation but i have a better suggestion. i dont know where you live but i live in new york and wallgreens/duane reade drug stores here in manhattan have this deal that if you pay a one time registration fee of 30 dollars, they give you a card that allows you to get most generics for 10 bucks a month. so im currently getting 30 5mg fin a month for 30 bucks as well as spironolactone and next year generic dut will be available in the usa so i will get 10 dollar dut scripts as well. its not a bad deal but anyway, you need a dht blocker before anything else.
 06/02/2012 12:30 PM

Author Icon
jimbo69
Accomplished Poster

im sorry corrently, 30 bucks one time fee and 10 dollar generics. my 5mg fin only costs me 10 bucks as well as all my other meds available in generic
 06/02/2012 05:06 PM

Author Icon
dodgePT
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: fjules

He is crazy for not doing it sooner. What fin can do is in no comparison to what mail pattern baldness can do to you.

Are you for real, man? Do you ever think of the impact your posts will have on young people who read them, talking of suicide and shit like that? Get a grip.

Originally posted by: jimbo69
if i can make a suggestion. there have been comments saying that you are crazy for buying fin overseas with no script but i wouldnt worry too much. look for dr reddys. its an indian generic manufacturer and they have a good reputation but i have a better suggestion. i dont know where you live but i live in new york and wallgreens/duane reade drug stores here in manhattan have this deal that if you pay a one time registration fee of 30 dollars, they give you a card that allows you to get most generics for 10 bucks a month. so im currently getting 30 5mg fin a month for 30 bucks as well as spironolactone and next year generic dut will be available in the usa so i will get 10 dollar dut scripts as well. its not a bad deal but anyway, you need a dht blocker before anything else.

Thanks j, I still have 7 months worth of fin left, so no worries. Anyway, I'm on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean, so that deal at wallgreens/duane could get a little expensive, to say the least

Regimen:
[keto 2% shampoo]
[FUE 3700 FU] 11-04-2013

echo $hair;
}
 07/15/2012 08:35 AM

Author Icon
dodgePT
Accomplished Poster

5 month update on minox/nizoral, 3 month fin.

A lot has happened in these last 2 months. I'm approaching a deadline in some of the projects I'm involved, and stress is back in my life.
I usually spend 16 hours a day in front of my computer working during these periods, and it usually has a detrimental effect in my hair. Fortunately, this time, my hair seems to be still improving, even under heavy stress.
I'm still confident in my recovery, and although no miraculous improvement has been noticed, I do feel that my hair hasn't been this healthy in years and my gf noticed it's filling in.

Minoxidil 5%
I'm currently applying somewhere between 2 to 3ml twice a day and it's still improving my hair. It's obvious now that regrowth is happening all over mpb affected areas, I couldn't be happier. I'm just trying to keep my expectations low, but its getting harder and harder .
Volume has increased and some regrowth has taken place in the front, where I thought I'd never see results, since I've been balding for several years now.
Crown is filling up quite nicely, although I have to say, this is REALLY SLOW
Amazingly, midscalp and forelock are showing the best improvements, I thought the crown would respond first, since it was the last one to go. Anyway, I still need to improve a lot to look like I'm not balding...
Summer is back and I went to the beach a couple of times, and my skin reacted violently, I had a real severe rash in my face, mainly in the forehead. I can't sunbathe when I apply minoxidil, that's for sure. My eyes got swollen, couldn't even get in public. It was also detrimental to my hair, since I noticed a small shed almost immediately.
I don't know if it's the sunscreen+sun+minox combo, on the second try I made, I used a different sunscreen and the same happened...This just pisses me off because I live in a sunny country with great beaches and I like to get tanned in the summer.
Any advice on this, guys?

Ketoconazole/Piroctone Olamine (PO)
I'm still using them, and there's nothing new to report. I think my scalp got more comfortable with keto, so I'm using them both EOD, and they have really helped with the rash I had.
Scalp condition is back to good level and hair shaft diameter has really improved while on these two. I'm certainly keeping them in my regimen.

Finasteride 1.25mg
It may be too early to detect any changes due to fin, mainly because I'm also on minoxidil so it's hard to tell.
All I can say is that I've had no side effects, apart from the watery sperm issue, and great increase in libido which still endures. I get erections out of nowhere and think more about sex. Something has changed with my libido, if it's good or bad for my hair, time will tell.
Fortunately, I seem to be one of those who don't get sexual sides, at least for now.
I'm afraid I won't be able to recognize fin results when I get them, due to minoxidil usage. But as fin works in a different way, maybe I will. Any opinions on this one? Is there a way to recognize fin results while also on minoxidil?

Hair quality is very good, but I still need a little more coverage to definitely disguise the horseshoe pattern.
Last July 7th I added MSM for improved growth, while many say it did nothing, others swear that their hair grew faster. It's also quite safe at high dosages, so it's worth giving it a shot.
I stopped working out in the last two months, lack of time and long working schedules made me skip the gym. I noticed I gained a little weight (10 pounds) and I'm not happy with it. I guess I'll have to get some time at least for some cardio, since I went from running 10 miles everyday to just sit in front of my screen all day long.
I never gained weight in my gym breaks, usually I lose mass but don't gain weight, but this may also be from spending so many hours in front of the computer lately. Also, I'm not 20 anymore.

If my recovery continues, I'll be posting pictures of all the process, by the one year mark. I just don't want to post them now and then get disappointed with the results, so bear with me and my long text based updates.

Cheers and good luck to everybody.

Regimen:
[keto 2% shampoo]
[FUE 3700 FU] 11-04-2013

echo $hair;
}
 07/15/2012 09:43 AM

Author Icon
caco
Accomplished Poster

Hi dodge story very similar to mine, I alrea,dy started fin and the big 3, you can see that in my post, we'll see, good luck..
 07/19/2013 07:11 PM

Author Icon
dodgePT
Accomplished Poster

First post updated after 15 months on finasteride.
Thoughts on my progress?

Regimen:
[keto 2% shampoo]
[FUE 3700 FU] 11-04-2013

echo $hair;
}
 07/19/2013 07:17 PM

Author Icon
Canon
Occasional Poster

Wow! It looks great.. It looked liked you were from a NW 6 down to a NW 3-4! what are your thoughts of your progress??
Hair Loss Help » Hair Loss Open Topic » Finally, the BIG 3

<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
36092 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 318 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 318 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc