hair loss help.com is your complete hair loss guide and resource for info about Propecia, Rogaine, minoxidil, transplants, thymuskin, Revivogen, folliguard, tricomin and other hair loss and baldness remedies
Hair Loss Help
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Finally, the BIG 3
Topic Summary: UPDATE 30 MONTHS FIN, 13 MONTHS FUE (pics on post #1)
Created On: 04/18/2012 07:01 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/22/2013 03:24 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DecadeTwo
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: dodgePT
It's funny you mention that 1/5th from Rossi et al, because the idea I have about finasteride is that it pressed the rewind button in my hair loss. It's almost like it's slowly playing my hair loss backwards.

I've always liked the cassette tape analogy for AGA treatment.

(e.g. a treatment that does not interfere with the underlying mechanism of AGA may rewind the tape a bit, but then it starts playing at the same speed.)

I wonder when will my results plateau, I guess it'll depend on how many follicles died before treatments.

I think there's a good chance that by the time that happens there might be something better out, and your for loop will terminate.

My while loop may become problematic if that is the case, though, unless your goal is to be the wolf man at the carnival.

By the way, judging by the hair in the 1992 pic, you appear to have accidentally swapped a picture of yourself with a picture of Zach Morris. Come to think of it, I've never seen you and Zach at the same place at the same time.

Seriously though, I had a similar thing going on back in those days.

-------------------------
NW < 2 since 1999

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'.
--Alan I. Leshner

Correlation does not imply causation.
--Logic

When you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way.
--Stevie Wonder

I'm not an MD, and I'm not a hair loss expert.
 07/22/2013 03:43 AM

Author Icon
dodgePT
Accomplished Poster

Originally posted by: DecadeTwo

By the way, judging by the hair in the 1992 pic, you appear to have accidentally swapped a picture of yourself with a picture of Zach Morris. Come to think of it, I've never seen you and Zach at the same place at the same time.

Seriously though, I had a similar thing going on back in those days.

Lol, yeah, believe it or not, I was growing it out at the time, it got to my shoulders before I had to cut it because of the thinning. Those were the days.

Regimen:
[5mg finasteride] 04-18-2012
[keto 2% shampoo]
[FUE 3700 FU] 11-04-2013

for($hair=0; $hair<100000; $hair++) {
echo $hair;
}
 07/31/2013 06:04 AM

Author Icon
DHTElimination
Regular Poster

Those are not BIG 3.
DUT+FIN+SPIRO = BIG 3

DUT+FIN+MINOX DAILY
NIZ 3x a WEEK
STILL LOSING HAIR
URGE TO MUTILATE SELF INCREASING
 07/31/2013 11:36 AM

Author Icon
rrosen
Prolific Poster

Originally posted by: DHTElimination

Those are not BIG 3.

DUT+FIN+SPIRO = BIG 3

Oral Spiro???

Finasteride
Revita Shampoo
 07/31/2013 11:49 AM

Author Icon
Budskii
Regular Poster

Originally posted by: rrosen

Those are not BIG 3.

DUT+FIN+SPIRO = BIG 3

Oral Spiro???

That guy has lost it ...
 09/05/2013 08:05 PM

Author Icon
btemtd
Prolific Poster

But you aren't really on big 3, are you. Big 3 is:

- finasteride

- dutasteride

- oral spironolactone

You are only on big 1.

When you are on 2/3, you can start expecting something.

huh?

The big 3 have always been Fin, Minox ,Keto

Proven by many

Why would you take DUT & FIN?? Weird? ORal Spiro? This is what ppl who want tits and tiny testicles take
 09/07/2013 05:15 PM

Author Icon
TheConsiderateIlliterate

DodgePT,

Congrats on your improvements! And thank you for posting your progress in such great detail. I've been browsing the forums for a couple years now, but you have inspired me to create an account and start documenting my results (in a different thread, of course).

But a little background while I'm here. I'm 26. Looking back at pictures from high school, my MPB started around the time I was 17. My loss has always been relatively slow unlike some of my friends who literally have lost almost all of their hair in a matter of 4-5 years. I'm about a NW 2 1/2, but I know the earlier I start the better. When I was about 20 I purchased a laser comb. I don't remember the brand, but it was not the HairMax - this one pulsated, which I think made a huge difference. I was stubborn and didn't use it consistently.. but I will say it helped slow my loss throughout my college years. Thing quit working after about 5 years. I have not purchased another, nor will I. I felt too much like a slave to that device, whereas fin/minox/keto feels more like an additional few minutes to my daily routine.

I used to take Beta Sitosterol (similar to Saw Pal, but a higher concentration of the sterols in the Saw, which is believed to be more effective), which is suppose to be the natural alternative to Fin. To be honest, I don't know if it's something I would recommend to someone who is serious about tackling MPB (aren't we all?). I have no idea if it worked or not. I still lost hair, but would it have been at a higher rate? Who knows. Nobody in my family is completely bald so I don't know what to expect as a rate of loss.

Anyways, 2 months ago I started on Kirkland minox (2, sometimes 3 times a day) and fin (generic, overseas - similar to your case (also no sexual side effects)), along with 1% Nizoral 2 - 3x a week. I've noticed significant improvement to the texture and fullness of my existing hair, with new hairs starting to sprout. I'll chalk that up to minox/keto as I doubt the fin has had enough time to really show some results, but by now I will say it's likely contributing to some degree. I just took pictures for when I post my own story. I realize the credibility is so much higher when people can SEE the results instead of just reading what someone is typing. You can only put so much stock into what people say, especially after reading all the conflicting opinions and stories of other personal experiences.

Anyways, just wanted to share a little bit of background and congratulate you on your progress. You seem to be a realist with your expectations. Starting "this late in the game" will not give you everything you had back, but will minimize graft count.

Oh, also.. I noticed in your signature you use a dermaroller. Mine is in the mail and should be here any day now - also 1.0mm. How do you feel about it? I did a lot of research prior to ordering and I believe the risk to cost ratio is definitely justifiable.

Thanks again for keeping us updated.

Cheers
 09/08/2013 11:37 AM

Author Icon
dodgePT
Accomplished Poster

Hi, TCI!

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad my story helped you in some way.
I believe you started treatments in the right moment and you might expect good maintenance of the hair you got now. Don't expect regrowth, if it happens, it's a bonus.

About the dermaroller, I just did my 6th session yesterday and my scalp still holds the marks. I'm still not sure if this will work, but I believe I'm noticing some vellus hair turning. Time will tell if it's in fact happening or not.
I haven't noticed any new regrowth yet.
If you're still unsure and not really desperate, wait a little more, you'll know in 6 weeks if it worked for me and others.

With that said, I wish you the best

Regimen:
[keto 2% shampoo]
[FUE 3700 FU] 11-04-2013

echo $hair;
}
 12/15/2014 04:26 PM

Author Icon
dodgePT
Accomplished Poster

Per request of some users, I've updated the first post of this thread with pics from my procedure and current status.
Sorry for the quality of the pics, they're shitty, but they're also plenty

Cheers!

Regimen:
[keto 2% shampoo]
[FUE 3700 FU] 11-04-2013

echo $hair;
}
 12/15/2014 07:19 PM

Author Icon
ahadabans
Accomplished Poster

Stellar photo journal you are keeping. Very clear pictures with the same lighting and comparable hair lengths/styles. Dude, this should be a sticky on how to do before and after shots.

Keep us posted. Cheers.

Regimen:
.5mg Dut
Keto Shampoo
LLLT 3x weekly

Fin/Dut user - 18 years.

HT w/ Dr. Diep March 2014 - 1500 grafts, March 2015 - 1800 grafts

Magnum Opus
http://www.hairlosshelp.com/fo...10&threadid=115140
 12/16/2014 10:29 AM

Author Icon
TheAwakenedMan
Prolific Poster

DodgePT You mad it man ! So glad for you !
 12/16/2014 01:11 PM

Author Icon
dodgePT
Accomplished Poster

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate your replies

Unfortunately, I'm still not satisfied, because the only style that works for now is the spiked look. If I grow it, it still looks thin. I know I should be grateful, and I am, but there's something about getting a HT that makes you greedy and crave for more.
I can't hardly wait to fill the mid scalp with some more terminal hairs, and get this over with. I also might tweak the hairline with a few hundred hairs, I'm still studying my plan of action.

There's something I forgot to mention in my first post on this thread, and I'm sure ahadabans agrees: it's wonderful to get a hair line back. It really frames your face and transforms you into someone else, something you had forgotten a long time ago. I lived half my life with a destroyed hair line and it really affected me psychologically, I just didn't knew it at the time.

I feel more confident now, not only about my looks, but about my inner self.

So, to those on the fence, choose the right surgeon, cross your fingers and take the plunge. Just make sure you're on the right age to do it

Regimen:
[keto 2% shampoo]
[FUE 3700 FU] 11-04-2013

echo $hair;
}
 12/16/2014 01:32 PM

Author Icon
ahadabans
Accomplished Poster

Unfortunately, I'm still not satisfied, because the only style that works for now is the spiked look. If I grow it, it still looks thin. I know I should be grateful, and I am, but there's something about getting a HT that makes you greedy and crave for more.

I can't hardly wait to fill the mid scalp with some more terminal hairs, and get this over with. I also might tweak the hairline with a few hundred hairs, I'm still studying my plan of action.

There's something I forgot to mention in my first post on this thread, and I'm sure ahadabans agrees: it's wonderful to get a hair line back. It really frames your face and transforms you into someone else, something you had forgotten a long time ago. I lived half my life with a destroyed hair line and it really affected me psychologically, I just didn't knew it at the time.

Both of those things. I'm in a similar boat to you. My hair loss was less severe, but my hair line is now thicker than the area behind it. I don't like that. I'm still only 9 months into this though, so I suspect some of this will resolve itself over the next few months, but I also expect I will still want a second procedure to really fine tune and fix some of the weaker points that may remain.

Here's how I look at it. I didn't pay $10,000 so I can continue to hide and/or compensate for my thinning hair (either by using a billion topicals, or toppik or a hair style that hides it, etc.). And if spending another 10k is what it takes, then that is what it takes. I went into this knowing that most people don't go "one and done". I accepted that reality up front.

Regimen:
.5mg Dut
Keto Shampoo
LLLT 3x weekly

Fin/Dut user - 18 years.

Magnum Opus
 12/16/2014 01:52 PM

Author Icon
dodgePT
Accomplished Poster

That's the spirit, mate

And good luck, you surely deserve it.

Regimen:
[keto 2% shampoo]
[FUE 3700 FU] 11-04-2013

echo $hair;
}
 12/16/2014 01:55 PM

Author Icon
sunchyme1
Accomplished Poster

Cheers for the pics man, that first post ht PIC was pretty gruesome lol.

Have u thought about rocking a shaved head for a while. Now u have a hairline again, I bet it would look good. Though I suspect shaving is the last thing u want to do now u finally have some hair.

This is what I would do I think if my density was thin. Like that close shave u had in the first 2007 PIC, it looked good there.
 12/16/2014 02:17 PM

Author Icon
dodgePT
Accomplished Poster

Thanks man, but it's just like you said. I want to have hair.
Not to please or look good to others, but to myself. Maybe I'm being narcissistic, but it feels good to be able to once again style my hair in the morning.
The FUE scars are fortunately unnoticeable with a grade 2 haircut, but I guess they would be noticeable if I shaved my hair to the skin. I never tried and I don't intend to

Regimen:
[keto 2% shampoo]
[FUE 3700 FU] 11-04-2013

echo $hair;
}
 12/16/2014 02:31 PM

Author Icon
sunchyme1
Accomplished Poster

I wouldn't either mate lol, that doesn't look good at all IMO lol. 2/3 grade looks good though, especially with a decent hairline.

It must be a great feeling to style ur hair again. New lease of life I bet

Good luck with the next ht
 12/16/2014 05:26 PM

Author Icon
ahadabans
Accomplished Poster

That's the spirit, mate

And good luck, you surely deserve it.

Ditto. And same to you.

BTW, your sig is hilarious.

Regimen:
.5mg Dut
Keto Shampoo
LLLT 3x weekly

Fin/Dut user - 18 years.

Magnum Opus
 01/09/2018 07:32 PM

Author Icon
dodgePT
Accomplished Poster

Hi guys, I'm just chimming in for a little update (sorry, no pictures this time).

For starters, I quit minoxidil. It was becoming quite bothersome to apply it everyday, twice a day. I'm a Systems Engineer and luckily, I've been involved in quite a few lenghty projects which took the most of my time and concentration. When you're programming 16 hours straight, applying minoxidil becomes a gruesome waste of time.
Luckily, it's been 20 weeks since I quit and I haven't noticed a shed or thinning. I rigorously tappered out from it during 5 months, and it seems it worked, at least for now. I admit how this contradicts the minoxidil studies, but maybe it never worked for me in the first place. I hope I'm right and I don't regret my decision

I still use ketoconazole shampoo twice a week. I believe it helps, as in keeping the scalp clean and all that.
Does it have anti-androgenic capabilities like some claim? I doubt it penetrates the scalp in the 5 or 10 minutes while you're taking your shower, but I decided to keep it in my regimen.

As for the finasteride, I upped the dosage to 5mg/day, a year ago. According to the studies, it shouldn't make a difference but as I never experienced the dreaded side effects, I thought 'why not'? Fin is dirt cheap!
I guess Dutasteride is the next logical step, since I feel that fin's results have plateaued and I intend to try it out during this year.

As most of you can see, my first HT was a success, and the results still endure to this day. I haven't lost a hair since my treatment stabilized and my first HT crowned my efforts with excellent results.
My second HT was postponed, mainly because of my professional life, and also because of my baby daughter, which by the way, was conceived while I was on finasteride, and is super healthy. In fact, she's extremely well developed for a almost 3 year old girl, both mentally and physically, which makes me a very proud dad

I still use stemoxydine once in a while, mainly the Fructis variant. I believe it works too, although it's results are limited and hardly aesthetic. But I still notice a difference while I'm using it, go figure

So, this is my update, I hope all my friends from hairlosshelp are doing great and still keeping their hair.
Cheers go out to ahadabans, D2, DHTd, Farrel and everyone else still fighting hairloss.

Despite it being a genetic trait, it's good to know that at least we've got something to fight it nowadays, be it with fin, dut, min, keto, stemo or even experimental drugs, and finally, hair transplants. It's not perfect, but neither are we.

Best of luck to you all.

Regimen:
[keto 2% shampoo]
[FUE 3700 FU] 11-04-2013

echo $hair;
}

Edited: 01/09/2018 at 07:39 PM by dodgePT
Hair Loss Help » Hair Loss Open Topic » Finally, the BIG 3

<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
36092 users are registered to the Hair Loss Help forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 26705 on 04/09/2017 at 11:57 PM.
There are currently 338 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 338 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2001-2017 - All Rights Reserved - Hairlosshelp, Inc